Strangers Who Visited Kiptum’s Home, Reveal Motive Behind Their Visit

The sudden passing of marathon world record holder Kelvin Kiptum has left a community reeling, prompting a search for answers amidst the grief. Detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) stationed in Iten, Elgeyo Marakwet County, have unveiled a series of events leading up to Kiptum’s fatal accident, shedding light on the complexities surrounding his untimely demise.

According to local authorities, a group of strangers made a visit to Kiptum’s home just days before the tragic incident. These individuals, as revealed by Elgeyo Marakwet CCIO Joshua Chelal, were representatives of a Chinese company hoping to strike a sponsorship deal with the esteemed athlete. Their proposal aimed to provide Kiptum with sporting gear for the upcoming Chicago Marathon, scheduled for April 2024.

However, it emerged that Kiptum had initially turned down the offer, expressing a preference for a different brand. Despite this setback, the visitors persisted, employing a more assertive approach in their attempt to sway Kiptum’s decision. They claimed that the meeting ended on a positive note and were stunned to find themselves implicated in the tragic events that followed.

“Our intentions were pure; we genuinely believed we were offering something beneficial to Kiptum and his family,” expressed one of the individuals during police questioning, vehemently denying any involvement in Kiptum’s passing. Additionally, they refuted allegations of misrepresentation, specifically denying any claims of ties to the State House. Notably, one of the individuals chose to remain silent when questioned about Kiptum’s accident.

In response to mounting suspicions, three of the individuals voluntarily turned themselves in, while another was apprehended by authorities on Wednesday. Sub-county Police Commander Abdullahi Dahir of Keiyo South elaborated that the decision to pursue these individuals was prompted by allegations made by Kiptum’s father, Samon Cheruiyot.

“We launched an investigation following the concerns raised by the deceased’s father. Despite lacking prior information about the four individuals, we took action based on these claims,” stated Dahir.

After undergoing extensive interrogation, the individuals were eventually released on bond, as investigations into Kiptum’s tragic demise continued. Notably, it was revealed that two of the individuals had previously served as members of the Uasin Gishu County Assembly.

Speaking to the media on Monday, Samson Cheruiyot, Kiptum’s grieving father, recounted how the visitors had falsely claimed to represent State House. Cheruiyot affirmed his ability to positively identify the individuals, having captured their images during their visit.

The devastated father has called for a thorough and expeditious investigation into the circumstances surrounding the deaths of his son and his Rwandese coach.

Kelvin Kiptum and his coach met their tragic end in a devastating road accident on Sunday night, leaving behind a void in the hearts of many and prompting a soul-searching examination of the events leading up to the heartbreaking loss.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *