Categories: Africa

Sudan War Second Year: Indifference Draws Kenya, South Africa

Sudan’s brutal conflict officially entered its second year on April 15, prompting strong reactions from African leaders who blame global inaction for the prolonged war. Kenya’s Foreign Affairs Permanent Secretary, Dr. Korir Sing’oei, echoed sentiments made by former South African President Thabo Mbeki, criticizing the international community for failing to end the violence.

Quoting Mbeki’s remarks following a London consultative conference on Sudan, Sing’oei said Kenya fully agrees that global paralysis and inaction—sometimes even complicity—have deepened the crisis.

Mbeki, who engaged with Sudanese political figures, civil society, and humanitarian groups in London, declared the war “unwinnable.” He emphasized that neither the Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) nor the rival Rapid Support Forces (RSF) can claim victory, stressing the urgent need for a credible peace process.

“There is no military solution. This war is destructive and unwinnable,” Mbeki stated, calling for serious diplomatic engagement and long-term reconstruction. He and Kenyan officials are urging the global community to take unified, coordinated action to help Sudan restore peace.

This comes hours after the RSF announced a rival government, further complicating the peace process. Kenya has previously faced criticism for allegedly allowing RSF meetings that facilitated the formation of the parallel administration.

British Foreign Secretary David Lammy added that despite major international interventions, progress has stalled due to a lack of political will within Sudan. “We must persuade the warring parties to protect civilians, allow aid access, and prioritize peace,” he said.

Both Kenya and South Africa have insisted that this must be the final anniversary Sudan observes under war, urging regional and global actors to stop fueling the conflict and support an inclusive peace effort.

Clarence Biama

Share
Published by
Clarence Biama

Recent Posts

Kenya Intensifies AFCON 2027 Preparations as Sports Budget Proposal Rises to Sh32.24 Billion

Kenya is stepping up preparations to host AFCON 2027, with the State Department for Sports…

10 hours ago

KRA Collects Sh7.8 Billion from Taxpayers Outside Formal Tax Records

The Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) says its ongoing push to widen tax compliance is beginning…

10 hours ago

Opposition leader Gachagua calls for action to reduce fuel prices

Rigathi Gachagua, the former Deputy President and current leader of the Democracy for Citizens' Party…

11 hours ago

Matatu Operators Suspend Planned Strike for Seven Days

Matatu owners and operators have suspended their planned nationwide strike for seven days following a…

2 days ago

Ruto holds crisis talks as fuel prices trigger public outcry

President William Ruto’s administration is scrambling to contain widespread public outrage and nationwide transport paralysis…

2 days ago

Nationwide Transport Strike Paralyzes Kenya Following Fuel Price Surge

A nationwide transport strike paralyzed major towns and cities across Kenya on Monday after public…

2 days ago